Well, a couple of weeks ago, my roommate Annelise almost lost her car in Cutler. We had talked her into coming with us for her first time. It's pretty scary until you've done it. Even the drive there is sketch. When we got the the top of the hill on the dirt road where you ditch your car, she gunned it assuming that the black abyss she saw in front of her was just another hill to climb. It wasn't a hill. It was Cutler...waiting to swallow us up and give us the float of our lives. She slammed on her brakes as Brett sprinted toward us waving his arms in the air. She stopped in time with her front wheels hanging over the edge. Luckily we were smart enough to bring neighbor boys. They somehow lifted her car and pushed it back without falling in themselves. Poor Annelise. She didn't jump in that night.
Sunday, August 1, 2010
Cutler
I had always heard that before leaving Logan, one must float Cutler. Well ladies and gents, I have. This summer was my first time, and it was everything I had hoped for and more. Cutler is a canal of sorts that is very deep and flows extremely fast. It is illegal to float and trespass (too dangerous or something), so you have to go in the dead of night and pray you don't get caught. There is quite a treacherous walk to get to the jumping off point. You walk across metal grates, climb over rocks and cement barriers, and try not to fall over either side. Once you are ready to jump, get ready for the ride of your life. The current is swift and there are metal bars and beams that cross the canal every once in a while that are really low that you have to duck under. It's sketchy because if you go all the way under, you might smack your head on one on the way back up. I just tip my head back and keep my hands in front of my face. While I've always had a love/hate relationship with my nose, I don't want it smashed. Cutler is quite the experience. There is nothing better than hanging onto my water noodle and watching the stars while I float. Beautiful.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
If our parents only knew half of how wild cutler is they would ground us.
So glad I got to share this with you.
Wow. You are gusty. That, for some reason, does not appeal at all to me. I'd be one of those people that didn't duck in time and got knocked out, guaranteed. I just caught a gnat in my hand. Ew.
I love Cutler! Man, I should have come...
We went a few weeks ago in the middle of the day... we got caught.
Julianne Gifford, I had NO IDEA you were doing crazy dangerous things like this. Holy cow. You are GROUNDED from Cutler!!!
I wish I could have been dangerous with you floatin' down Cutler!
Post a Comment