Thursday, February 17, 2011

Summer Musings

Snow just dumped all of its insides on Logan last night. I woke up to a beautiful morning—roads iced over, trees bowed from the weight of the snow, and a sunrise with pinks and oranges glinting off the newly-laid white stuff. I had been crossing my fingers in my sleep hoping with all my might that school would be cancelled. No such thing. Not in Logan, UT. I should be more angry at the snow—just the other day it was so warm that the neighbor kids were out playing all day on bikes with short sleeves on. I had been lying on my bed with my window open, soaking up the run rays and listening to the neighborhood awake to the signs of spring. But for some reason, the beauty of this morning pushed my disappointment in new snow aside.

But. There is a but. I still yearn for summer. I was thinking about how my summers growing up are so much different from kids today. I would spend my days riding bikes, roller blading, and getting into all sorts of trouble with my friends, only to return home for lunch and then dinner. We lived outside. Sunburns were a common occurrence, as was dirt that lived under the fingernails. Once the city pool opened, we could stop playing in ditches and dunking our heads in buckets of water—we had a real pool. I remember swimming at the pool for hours and hours, interrupted only by Natalie’s mom to put some sun block on my nose (for some reason, my nose loved to burn). I remember going on “fieldtrips” with my mom since she had school off too. Weenie water guns were also fun (squirt guns made from surgical tubing bought from Graff’s Mercantile by the yard and the tip of a pen). Digging to china, playing in the haystacks (getting yelled at by Robert Reeve), breaking into the old boxing arena, hiking the canal, taking picnics to three falls, eating bologna sandwiches, watching cartoons, sleeping in swimsuits, and so much more.

Summers are still good—even as a pseudo grownup. My summers in Logan have been my favorite experience. I know I’ve blogged a lot about my summers here. But I can’t help but reminisce because I just want it to be warm outside SO bad! Here are some things I miss:

-Farmer’s Market

-riding my bike everywhere

-slacklining

-floating Cutler

-floating Oneida

-Bear Lake

-rock climbing (yeah, that one time)

-BBQs

-Porcupine

-Gnome Home

-tanning on the roof

-spotlighting

-SYTYCD

-tie dye

-cleaning with Nat

-boating

-being blond

-25th ward (Larsen, Marcek, and Malouf the goof)

-windows and doors always open

-snow cones

-Taco Tuesday (ya, it’s year-round, but it’s better in the summer)

-dance parties

-cruise

-Aunt Laura’s

-laying on pink blanket

-reading on the roof with headlamp

-Havasupai

-camping

-cookouts

-sing-a-longs

-midnight walks/bike rides

-temple walks

-henna tattoos

-freckles

-sand volleyball

-tennis

-never getting ready… ever

-flip flops

-Zion

-Hurricane

-Logan tulips

-demolition derbies/rodeos

-gardening

-summer sorcery night

-Easter car show

-long hair (long hair just seems appropriate for summer)

-4th of July celebrations (gotta love America)

-picking raspberries

-eating dutch oven

Summer 2011—you will be different, but I can’t wait to see what kinds of good times you hold for me!

Is this too premature? It is only February after all. Oh well. I’m getting my hair cut and colored today. I’ll keep you posted.

3 comments:

Hayley said...

it's so weird you posted this. i was honestly just about to write a post about how much i missed summer. i was looking through your old summer posts and that one of us picking raspberries killed me. the quote about how it wouldn't be so bad to be a slave made me laugh so hard. who said that? oh man, good times! you said it all. p.s. i liked my mom's comment too. see ya tonight freak.

Peg said...

I love that Aunt Laura's made the list.

McKayJoice said...

Oh man, nothing will be like summer 2009. I feel like it is a summer that will haunt me forever.